Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Corn Salad


I've been meaning to post this recipe for a while. It's become my go-to summer salad when corn is in season and always hits the spot when I'm craving a refreshing, tasty side dish. Ridiculously easy and simple, but it's satisfying all the same. I'm going to go out on a limb here and insist that the ingredients must be fresh and in season*...canned corn just won't cut it! (*Canned beans are my only exception to this rule.) There, I'm off my soapbox now.

Summer Corn Salad

5 ears of corn, cooked and cut off the cob
2 large ripe diced tomatoes or a pint of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 large cucumber, diced
1 cup canned beans, rinsed and drained (chickpeas, cannellini or black beans all work well)
1/2 cup diced onion (vidalia and red onion are my favorites!)
2 T fresh cut herbs (parlsey or basil work well)
1 T olive oil
2 T vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cumin (optional)
Dash of salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions: Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir. Adjust seasonings to taste. Chill for an hour. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Corey Templeton said...

yum, I will have to try this one out.

Lesley Vernon said...

Hi Corey...I love your blog! Your photos are fantastic.
Cheers, Lesley

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation