Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back at it again

Maybe we're officially crazy. Steve and I decided to sign up for our "Extreme" summer sporting events again (check out our race reports from last year here and here) and last week it finally dawned on me that in two short weeks I'll be competing in a triathlon! While I haven't been a total couch potato this summer, I just haven't felt like I've been "serious" about training. That's what the last two weeks before the event are for, right?

In any case, I've been making more of an effort lately to put in the time at the pool, on the bike and on the road. It feels good to be active, and one positive outcome of all this physical activity is my newly discovered love of swimming. It completely surprised me when I actually began to look forward to doing my 20 laps at the pool. (Disclaimer: the first three or four trips to the pool were not enjoyable. I had to rest every other lap and catch my breath, and felt like a dead weight in the water.) But after a few weeks of swimming, I began to notice that my breathing relaxed and I could go up to 10 laps without stopping. I felt a new lightness and "spring" in my stroke and even began trying to tweak my freestyle stroke....for fun! I never expected to like swimming, and in fact it was the part of the triathlon that I dreaded the most. But I actually think it will be my favorite part this year.

So what else have I been doing to prepare? I've got all my race-day gear ready to go. Tips from the "pros" online include the following essential Tri Gear:

Body Glide - This is essential if you plan on swimming in a wetsuit like I do. The repetitive motions of swimming can really start to rub you in the wrong way without some of this stuff on your skin. Apply to elbows, wrists, knees, ankles and neckline.


A Good Pair of Goggles - I learned the hard way that a cheap pair of goggles is not going to cut it when you are swimming long distances in salt water! Ouch! The goggles should suction completely around your eye and leave nice rings on your face when you take them off....oh, and not let any water in. I got a pair that are also UV protectant, just in case the sun is out on race day.

A packet or two of Gu - These little energy packets can be hard to stomach in any other situation other than race day, in my opinion, but come in handy when you're starting to feel a bit sluggish right before the run. I think "Tri" berry would be appropriate, huh?

A race belt - This is a clever way to attach your race number to your body without the hassle of safety pins. After the swim, you clip it on around your waist, flip the number around to your back and bike away. Then on the run, your twist it around to face front and head for the finish line.

I'm sure there's tons of other gizmos and gadgets I could get to enhance the Tri experience, but honestly, my goal is to have a fun time doing this and not get too stressed about it. It would be nice to beat my time from last year, but if for some reason I fall short, I still feel privileged to be able to compete amongst so many awesome women!

To see more info about my race, check out the official website: Maine Tri for a Cure

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation