Saturday, September 25, 2010

Back to Baking and Blogging



Today is the first in a long time I've felt compelled to do two things.....bake and update this blog.

Please excuse my lack of enthusiasm for blogging. My energy has been redirected to, well, other things. (Baby, nesting, baby things, baby books, etc....you get the picture!)

But finally, on this unseasonably warm early fall day in Maine, I felt the urge to bake. Not the traditional chocolate chip banana bread I so often crave, but something both hearty and nutritious. So I went to the internet with a few ideas in mind: Carrots, Flax Seed and Raisins. The result was this fantastic vegan recipe, which I altered to be no longer vegan but just as healthful.

I'll post the recipe here as well as give a link to the original. The muffins truly taste delicious (even better with a little pad of butter on top) and make a nice snack in between meals. If you've never tried agave nectar, I'd highly recommend heading over to your local Whole Foods or other natural food store where you can usually find it in the bulk aisle. It's lighter than honey, and a healthy alternative to sugar.

Oh, and I have to add that now that we upgraded our camera to a DSLR, taking photos of food is sooo much fun!


Carrot, Raisin and Flax Muffins

1/2 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C ground flax seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 C agave nectar
2/3 C plain milk
1/4 C oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 C grated carrot
3/4 C raisins soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
1/2 C chopped walnuts (I left these out)
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan with oil (or butter)
  • Mix the flours, flax seed, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  • Create a small well in the center and add agave nectar, milk, oil and vanilla.
  • Hand-stir until smooth.
  • Fold in the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
  • Fill the muffin tins three-quarters full.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Enjoy with butter! Delicious!

::And I had to include a shot of Roma hanging out on our deck in the warm afternoon sun::

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation